Sunday, July 18, 2004

Cycling..... from pole to pole

Weekend .... Friday evening 16 july, after waiting half a day I cycled 20 kilometers just for fun. 20.14 kilometers, 30.80 kilometers an hour. That's 39 minutes and 16 seconds. My maximum was 40 k/hr. The total distance on my current bike 24.853 kilometers. More than the distance from pole to pole. I only had 1 flat tyre. It's amazing...
 
Saturday 17 july, at 11 o'clock am my mother and het friend came over for a visit. A coffee- break on their way to my brother in The Hague (his neighboor is Slobodan Milosevic).
I showed my pictures and they theirs... So on my balcony I served real good Max Havelaar coffee with a strawberry cake and we talked about our holidays.

When they were back on their way I watched the 12th stage in the Tour the France. Fascinating how opportunistic Michael Rasmussen escapes the peloton but he might have had a deathwish. In the end his rabobank team only have exposure time on television. Cycling, especially the big tours are commercial events. Heroic actions like Rasmussen is of course beautiful to watch. But a new French hero is born. His name is  Thomas Voeckler . With his escape 11 days or so ago he had enough lead to start on 20 july for the 11th day in the yellow jersey.
 
But I didn't watch the final 60 kilometers. I cycled almost 100 myself with 2 small hills: 91.8 km, 25.2 km/hr, 3hr 38 min 34 sec, maximum 54 km/hr, total distance 24.945 km.
 
It was very warm, after 18.00 some heavy thunderstorms were gaining strenght in the southwest. I looked at it and saw the cumulus clouds building and tumbling over eachother. At 18.20 I was home, I heeard the rumbling and in the southeast a giant front of black clouds with a white top came nearer.  18.30 the rain started.

Today, 18 july, I cycled another 41 kilometers. I went west of Utrecht and was surprised that halfway I rode 20 kilometers. I'm gaining condition like a thunderstorm. Statistics 41.77 km, 26.91 km/hr, 1.33.11 hr, 24986 km.
And now while writing this down another thunderstorm is building up.
Posted by Hello 

No comments: