Monday, November 19, 2007

The end.

What a weekend.... My dad died 27 hours ago after being in a coma for 4 days.

Nothing happened really... I said goodbye just before the weekend. However Sunday at 2 pm my sister called to say that if I wanted to see him for the last time I had to come quickly.
Unfortunately I just came home after 2 hours training. After a shower, I packed my case and took the next train north, to G. It was delayed.
Was it one of the black cats I saw cycling hours before?

At 16.53 I called my sister. I don't know why I just had a feeling something was wrong. Maybe a song of Shakira on my mp3 made me feel so?

As I called her, my sister said it's better to tell you right now,our dad died.
I was sitting in a crowded train when she told it. I was emotional but could control it on the English way, a stiff upper lip. I couldn't pronounce words of 2 syllables or more. I felt defeated.

However when I arrived in G. I walked and ran to the hospital. Ouch, in the weekend they close the entrance I considered being opened. I had to take the main entrance.

Finally I made it to my dad. It took me 2.5 hours. 45 Minutes to late.

He was already in a spare room where my sister and I talked about his qualities, his bad and good habits, his shortcomings. Sometimes he gave an eye-wink I imagined and he smiled all the time. Yes, he laid on the bed peacefully like a pirate with great grey whiskers and white long hair combed to the back of his scull. Seemingly thanking for pardoning his mistakes and ending his suffering. Is this the end of 20 years or more trying to be out of sight? Sure is that at the end of the week he'll submerge for good.

I loved you dad and I wish you showed more to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart hurts for you. I lost my Dad 2 years ago, My Father-In-Law a year before that. On the 6th of this month I{and my Boys} lost lost their Father{my ex}. I don't like seeing endings and I am sure you don't either. Guess IT is part of life. Hard to take when it hit's home. I am sorry and hope the good times and memories outweigh all the negative. Hugs Sent~ Sallie