Thursday, November 15, 2007

Family

Many people have a complex family structure. A structure which originates from marriages and divorces, where children are between the parties involved.

So is my family. My mother is with her third man and my father is with his third wife.
The 1st man of my mother is my father, her 2nd one died and the 3rd man was a soldier in the middle of the Srebrenica massacre in 1995. He left the army and does the work he likes. He's also divorced and he works to pay the maintenance allowance for his wife who refuses to work.

My father divorced my mother in 1978 and married another woman shortly after my mother remarried. Sadly after 5 years my father's marriage didn't work and I was in the middle of it. No fights however, only words. My father was irresponsible. They divorced and I stayed with my father. After weeks that didn't work out and I chose to stay with his 2nd wife. When I went to college I spoke him once. Later I phoned him a couple of times. In fact I phoned him 2 weeks ago to make sure that he was still alive.
His 3rd wife arrived shortly after. I never spoke to her.

This evening I brought myself a Suriname rice-beans-chicken dinner. I usually don't do that. When I wanted to eat the telephone rang. It was my mother. She never called so early so it must be something. I asked her if it was something serious because I wanted to eat. After dinner I would call her back.

I did so. She told me that my fathers wife called. I had to call her back. He isn't well. He had a stroke and his heart didn't work to long. He's kept in a coma now. His brains might have had less oxygen I think and as a consequence his lungs don't work now.

Why am I called now. Why isn't he wise enough to search for contact. I phoned him a couple of times. Now I am told that he can't stand disappointments... I'm a little disappointed in my father. He forgot his children not withstanding his disappointments sofar.
But can I say that, he is my father after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been awhile since i have commented. I have looked often.{Soon my site will come alive}. This past Monday we laid my son's Father to rest. He died of alcoholism and perhaps a broken heart. I wish I could say life is easy and relationships are smooth; but they are not. We have to love what we can, ignore the bad and move on. It's not easy. God helps and I am glad some of my prayers are answered. Sadly a death has occurred here, It has made me appreciate so much. I send good thoughts your way. Sallie, in Indiana USA