Sunday, December 24, 2006

a stormy week

Many things happened this week.
Beside work each of my colleagues had an important personal talk with the interim manager (IM) about functioning in the department. It was really an assessment of us.
I didn't really prepare myself for that. I thought that it was in my head, it wasn't. I had it on paper though. My poor preparation disturbed the IM a little, and me as well. So the conversation lasted a little bit longer. (my figure got lower and lower; yes, the organization gives figures to the employees. I disgust it)

It was also the moment on which the IM decided to tell what will happen with the staff of the department after the reorganization.
My function will be centralized in the back office. It's a question I should ask myself if I want to be in the back office and what my function could be there.
It could also ask to transfer me to the economic department. It's the same question there.
When I was told this. I said I'll cooperate with it. (resistance is futile, like in next generation?) My first reaction on it was that it's such a waste of people and experience. My co worker and I will work on different places. The other roommates will get jobs in other department, more centralized. We will be split up. That gives me a very sad feeling.

It's Christmas eve and it's a good moment for reflection on this night.
- First, I like to say that the IM (according to the Internet he had some key-management positions in former offices linked to my department) has a very bad feeling for people's management.
- Secondly, it is in only six months before everything will be effective. Very fast actually (other short period; 6 months ago I lost my wallet in France).

Wednesday I was told and the rest of week was no business as usual. Thursday we had a Christmas drink in town. I wasn't in the mood and had some fruit-juice before I went home. I also decided not to drink anymore alcohol after reading something about restless legs

I spoke my former boss and she told me to lean and give in on storms in the organization. When the storm lies down you will get back in normal position.
Resistance might break you and when the organization gets back to normal you can't get up.

It's a go-with-the-flow philosophy and I'm not so very good in it. That is the charm of my work. It's not a follow the rule mentality. It more a go your own way and do the things that have to be done mentality.

Next months, all weeks might be like these.
In February I have a conversation about a what to do strategy/tactics, or is it what I have to do because management has already chosen. I think the last because I can't imagine that I can choose what to do. I can imagine however that the new organization can miss me. Finance will be done by the financial department.
I could say "change, okay, I accept it's there and look forward to it as a chance, a possibility to improve."


All of you, merry X-mas!