Monday, February 16, 2009

200 years after Darwin

This evening I cycled back home and came along the hospice were my neighbor would end her life. Two bicycles were parked close to the entrance. It was too busy to visit her I thought.
I already called my neighbor last Friday and she looked in her agenda and said that she also had time on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. She was a bit confused. She probably didn't know that it was Friday.

Tonight at 6.30 pm I was busy making diner when the doorbell rang. It was my other neighbor. She told me my neighbor died this morning. Luckily without any extra pain. She died in her sleep. She had some shots morphine though to kill the pain. At 7.30am CET this morning, 16 February, she passed away.

The sad thing is that she had some anxiety on the night before she died. She called 911 and told there was a dead body in the basement and that she would be next. So Sunday night the police stood at the doorstep of the hospice.
The door was opened by the night watcher and than it appeared to be the address were people die.

Today she's layed in the coffin which was immediately closed. She wanted that.
The last dead person I saw was my father in November 2007. I tell you, then people are used not to say a word.

Some time ago we talked about death and she described the afterlife, where she believes in, as a journey where you don't know where you go. It's not like a cash & carry journey which can be composed in travel stores. Where you know where you go. This is completely different. She doesn't know she told. It's more like the Charles Darwin his Journey on the Beagle.

For me the last 30 minutes with her were the best. Every minute was worth it. Of course after that I telephoned her. That were also very expensive minutes about her travels and the Journey of Darwin to the Galapagos Island, the Beagle, India, Mumbai.

More that 4 years suffering. I respect her toughness, but I hope she now make the journey of her life starting on 16 February 2009 (exactly 200 years and 4 days after Darwin's birth).

Respect Jeanette!

No comments: