Tuesday, November 30, 2010

family

The test I talked about in Aura I was tested as an entrepreneur. There might be something in it. Lately I heard a behavioral theory about people who come from the area I come from. I'm from the moor. Originally my family before the 19th century came from the north west of Germany, on border with The Netherlands. They moved west because there the work was.

Later in the 20th century some unmarried men moved to the mines and the moors in the south of The Netherlands. Even some people moved to the moors in south west England. My family in the early days had no homes. They moved from place to place because once you live in the moor you got no certainty. Within a few years or less the turf development moved and therefor the families had to move quickly and had to rebuilt the house elsewhere. It was a cheap shelter for animals and humans.
some kind of turf shed

Those days my family had the drive to find new places to excel, no matter how marginal their existence was. They tried to make all the best of it. The best they could do was to move. People moved 200 kilometers, others 700 kilometers. They were the opportunists of their times. Some had the entrepreneurship and worked for DSM or Philips, but above all they did their own thing.

This is the opportunistic family I'm from. Surviving the worst, dealing with the best things there are. Wonder if anybody went to America.

Originally we come from a farm between Oldenburg and Meppen in Germany. Catholicism and the birth rate did the family grow and spread their wings over North West Europe.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing so sincerely straight from your heart. Most inspiring.

Cheers

Ocean said...

What an interesting family history. how could find out about all this. Any documents or letters from past?
I am always interested about the roots and origins of families...

Jan said...

Hi Ocean, I did some research in the Archives where I come from. I could trace my family in a direct line of my forfathers until 1780, documented in the National Archives. He was born in Germany and went to work in the moor. My grandmother and father told me things and combing that you can make up your history.
Also published scientific studies about the people in the North East helped to understand those days.

I didn't investigate the history of the female family line. Probably I have roots in the area where I live now.