Sunday, April 17, 2005

A terrific day

Today was a terrific day. In the morning the sun was shining, the birds were singing and the traffic was calm.
I woke up, had 3 knäckebröd with cheese(when I was in Sweden last year I rediscovered it as an energy source) and a delicious cup of coffee.
After that I sent my family in the North an email and a link of what I am planning to cycle this year. This link shows the route in flash 5 (animated).
After that it was time to eat some macaroni for the 100 k I wanted to cycle.
So at 12.45 pm I raced to the establishment from where we started.
The first kilometers were relatively fast (35 k/hr). In an hour the first hills came. I could not deal with the fast riders and I stopped for a minute. Then it seemed that more riders could not follow. They passed me by.
When 2 riders did that and asked me the way to Amerongen I concluded that they didn't do this often and I caught them just before Leersum were they didn't know how to go.

I said follow me, and it appeared that those couldn't climb the hills. (and there were more to come) As the road was flat on most of the track they lead me to another hill were I had to take the lead position. (they could not climb at all)
After that hill there was one to come. And again I had to do it by myself.
From those hills I didn't see them again.
Arriving in Amerongen it appeared that the mayor peleton (a French word meaning persons joined together) has gone. I stopped at the restaurant and joined a little group of B-riders who lost contact too.
When I sat there more riders arrived. So we had a bigger group and could race faster back to Utrecht.

Back home I had cycled 85 k, so I cycled 15 k extra.
My total racing time (net time) is 100 k in about 3 hours and 8 minutes. That leaves a fantastic average of more than 31 k/hr.

This is a terrific day

No comments: