Thursday, June 30, 2005

It's not all about images

Traveling with the guide of Paul Benjaminse means avoiding the main cities and traffic. He set out a route for cyclists from Maastricht in the deep south of the Netherlands to Basel in the north west of Switzerland. (onbegrensd fietsen - Maastricht-Basel).
Of course there are many ways to go to Basel. The guide was a sort of roadmap how I could get to Basel.
Look at my IPOT for the statistics of this trip.

In my past holiday I crossed many beautiful villages.
Crossing beautiful places starting in Thorn, never seen such an un-Dutch village in the Netherlands.
Later I passed the Ardennes in Belgium.
In the guide stood something about a river I had to cross. There was no bridge, only a place to wade through the river. Well, that river appeared to be only a meter wide. I was a bit confused, was it the right way? Especially because I already made some extra kilometers in the hilly Ardennes trying to find the route to Sourbrodt.

After reaching Schoenberg I had a cold night. The camping site was situated in a valley with only one entrance. There weren't many people. It was a desolated place with a number of uninhabited caravans. It was beside a camping site also a trout farm. The season lasts only for 6 weeks the owner told, then the majority of the camping visitors leave. It was a typical Belgium site.

After the Ardennes I went to Luxemburg. After Schoenberg I had to climb to the German side of the Our river. This was one short climb. The heaviest so far.
After reaching the top I stopped at a guesthouse along the road to have my cup of coffee in the morning. The innkeeper was curious if I was riding the road to Rome. I gave him my roadmap and showed him that he was on the map too.
Then he told me a story he probably told every visitor who comes by bike on his way to Rome (or Basel as a part of it).
Some years back a guy called Paul Benjaminse came to him and asked the innkeeper if he was interested to be listed on a map as being a suitable inn or cafe and small hotel.
This would cost him 400 Euro he was told.
After hard thinking the man wasn't interested.
But showing the map the innkeeper laughed out loudly.
Later I heard the same story of other travelers I encountered.

No comments: