Monday, July 12, 2010

Chronic city

This I can't cope with, all those lights on the cover. It attracts like a 50,000 $ chaldron.


Lately I said to be reading a book which finally catched me.
Well Chronic city of Jonathan Lethem really does. I had an emotional moment reading the letter of Chase's fiance. And I'm only half way.
Astronauts, cosmosnauts and a Chinese minefield, it's beyond believe.

To me the book opens what is closed. I see connections with my own life.
I see Perkus Tooth and Chase Insteadman as parts of myself and of course the flat characters in the book of the environment I am in. Oona makes some sharp remarks.

Reading the blog of Sarah and her friends I have a view on the city as a chronic one.
I know that most movies in the book are not existing but mixed with the names of Marlon Brando and Leonard Cohen it gives the book creditability. All the non-existing is a vehicle and a message to the world to think and act.

The world needs great thinkers, philosophers, not mediagenic analysts explaining problems to a large public. People without the knowledge to whom we surrender nowadays. We have the Bread and circuses like the Olympic Games, the Tour de France, World Football Championship (we lost the final against Spain) and so on nowadays to fool ourselves everything is going smoothly. In fact, we have a problem Houston.

In Chronic city it is said that a lion is escaped. It destroyed a synagogue and stores in the lower east side of Manhattan. (Amsterdam-New York, Manhattan 400 years)
The lion is hidden under the ground and comes out at night. (mean streets, Alicia?)
The book accuses Civil Service, the Goverment. It accuses the rich and famous and the beauty and the beast so to say.

I read that Naijma stated that she is trying to get a visa for Germany to study (message of July 10 2010). She paved the path for her sister Hadia. Isn't it great?

No comments: