Sunday, January 09, 2005

The aftermath, Scheisse

Yesterday I wrote in my diary what happened in the last 2 months in the Netherlands.
It started with the Van Gogh assassination on November 2 2004 and now we got the Tsunami in Asia for which deprived people we collected over 120,000,000 Euro.

One can criticize that because other regions get less money for even worse disasters.
But I think that for a lot of people it opened their heart from a more hedonistic lifestyle to a more caring attitude. However the Dutch always give a lot personally to care-organizations as well institutionally (0.8 % of GDP is meant for development aid).

Aid workers fear the aftermath of this Tsunami disaster for the rest of the disasters which will occur in the next year. For these disasters will be less money of private persons because they only can give their money once, so the Tsunami affects the whole world.
For example Memisa (a member of Cordaid) will be fundraising for a project in Haiti next month. Memisa fears the worst.

And since January 1 2005 I am living like a tourist from a country far away because I need my passport near me wherever I go. That's difficult. Just going on a cycletour to the hills on my racingbike, where do I leave my passport? I don't know. What in summer when the heat arrived and I want to go for a swim, I seldom take money with me. A passport is not in question till now.
And this all is to make it saver? Don't fool yourself.
It's all Scheisse.

Stats of today:
41.30 k
25.89 k/hr
1:35:43 hr
45 k/hr (max)
T 582 k (batavus)