Thursday, August 18, 2005

Bad news

When I arrived at work my colleagues who were already there were in a good mood, as far as that's possible in the morning.
I was in the mood too. Tonight I would race possibly on the course and I wanted to make something of that in spite of poor work to do. When I had my first coffee and another one I heard some serious talking on the background. Everyone was listening to a phone call of a colleague with Bea our colleague who fights breast cancer.
The phone call has a short history. Let me tell you.

Yesterday Bea visited us after her holiday in Greece. She is battling cancer for 2 years (this is her second time being bald) now. The last year she has pain everyday. Between 2 chemo therapies she went on holiday for 2 weeks. In the second week she got problems with sitting and lying. That was very problematic. Certain areas of her back skin started to get as hard as a turtle shield. Back in Holland she has been transported to hospital immediately. There she was told that it could be an infection and that there might be some cancer cells too. Her skin was examined yesterday. This morning she was told the result.

I didn't hear the telephone call and I asked a colleague what Bea said.
I heard it and I couldn't say anything possibly I turned pale or something.
It seems to be lymphatic gland cancer -translation might be wrong and I'm not medical skilled-.
I heard a colleague say that this might be her death sentence.

When I came home after this horrible day. I called my mom. I hardly could tell her what happened, my emotions were still there. I couldn't get rid of them at work.

Well, tonight I rode some kilometers for myself just to get rid of the emotions.
On such moments you realize how unfair life can be.

No comments: