Monday, September 06, 2004

Holiday, bloodshed, tears, panic, a wrong reaction and a dead comedian

Hello, today is the last day of my short holiday. I'm glad that I said to my colleague, who wanted to paint the outside of his house and needed also some dry days that I wanted to have a break for a few days. I said it really a month ago. So I don't feel guilty about it. When there were signs of a warm period (25 degrees C) I made plans of a cycle tour. So in total I cycled 218 kilometers in one day, 88 K with the Ledig Erf-cyclists and today I'll cycle a short distance. But the totals aren't bad at all: yesterday 88.18 K in 3:01:16 Hr, average 29.19 kilometers an hour, maximum speed 52 K/hour, distance so far 26.195 K of which in 2004 2486 K

Friday 3 September when I was cycling for nine a halve hour, something horrible happened in Russia. Some lunatic, fundamentalist extremists who earlier on took control over a complete school (the 1st day of the new scholastic year when all the teachers, staff, students (of very young age) and family were together). The extremist hostagetakers controlled the school, but didn't really control the situation. It was an assault on harmless youngsters and the adult people at the school. It was suicide and murder. More than 700 people the killed or wounded. This doesn't make sense.
I think that the people who did this don't fight for a free Tjsetsjenia (or whatever they call it). If they are linked to the Taliban they know that teaching is very important, Taliban started to teach. Now we know they teach hate. And that no good in the long run. 600 years from now people will still feel the pain, in a different way. This won't end.

And then the reaction of the Dutch minister of Foreign Affairs, who is at this moment also the European Minister of FA (is that true?). In his reaction to Putin he asked, he wanted an explanation why there were so many casualties.
That was one step to far for the Dutch minister. He made a comment that those words were not written. In my opinion he should sympathize with the whole damned situation, with the victims and relatives, no matter if the Russian state is responsible also for the outcome of the hostage-taking.

But also a couple of day's ago a famous Dutch singer/songwriter died. Bram Vermeulen was a good one, with enormous number of songs.... Many of them are real good.. However I don't know him very well... When I read the newstag on screen I couldn't believe it. He was only 57 and died of a heartattack on vacation in Italy.
But everybody has to face his final destination, how horrifying it may be. (remember the kids in Russia. No not a good comparison really).

"Er is een deel van mij
In de Ardennen blijven steken
Een ander deel
Ligt in Italie aan zee
Weer een ander deel
Is in les Landes gebleven
Ik neem steeds minder
Van mijzelf nog mee"

Bram Vermeulen in -Verlangen-

I also heard an interview with Bram Vermeulen in which he told about the death of his mother and the way he found her after 2 days. He found her lying on the ground and he felt that everything came together. His 98 year old mother became a Greek goddess of long ago. Everything that characterizes a woman came together. Strength, sacrificing, warmth. But now he's also cold.

The older I am, the colder I get and "I take less of myself with me. I leave it behind."


the dude was here too

No comments: