Monday, October 17, 2005

between sunrise and full moon


Did my work today when a colleague told me that we had a kind of meeting about the structure of our computer system. Because I'm the person who works with the present system of our supply of wheelchairs I should be there too. Well, the whole discussion was focused mainly on what should be improved in the working of the system. Not that I didn't have any comments on that, but I was there to say something about our wheelchairs, motorised or not.
It was none of that. It was a show of my colleague and she's about policy in my department.
So I thought about a newspaper's column about simulating submissiveness and social binding.

People give up their autonomy to enter a constitution. In that constitution one can enter into relations with other persons by simulating submissiveness. So people make mistakes deliberately to form a community.
The columnist gave examples of mistakes , of failure, policy makers who make mistakes on purpose with budgetary systems and privatisation to create a atmosphere of binding, politicians fail to bridge the gap between Government and citizens, administrative personnel make mistakes to create a cozy corner around the coffee machine (yes, Sarah Ackerman I said machine too).

Okay, if this social binding exists whats the matter with that, is it bad?
I don't think it's bad. It creates involvement with work and a bond with colleagues.
However, on an individual scale it's bad because few people work at their capability. In this constellation there are people with work which doesn't get the best out of them. That's a pity for the employer, but also a lost opportunity for society.

.......Yes it's full moon.......

No comments: