Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Positive frustration


yesterday's sunset

Sometimes there are weeks of continuous fair weather. Everything is like the forecast. It's the weather you can depend on. It's un-Dutch. It's not common here that September and October just let summer fade away into a winter.

But how nice this is after not so marvelous summer. The hottest period of the Dutch summer was in my vacation. France had 36 degrees, Holland had 32. Temperatures though remained average the whole summer as wel as rainfall. That made it possible for me to keep on cycling without pauses of weeks.

Thinking about a short pause, today I trained a while (1 hour) on a low gear when I passed a biker at the end of the training. I cycled at an average of 37 k/hr. When I went down hill that person on a normal bike passed me saying "hey, it's good weather, isn't it?". So I followed him for a short while and then passed him again (replying "yes, but don't go to fast") with an average of 43 k/hr which I kept on cycling. When I looked over my shoulder after a while that man still cycled behind me. (okay, I said, congratulations). And he cycled away, and still cycles I think.

A colleague of mine told me that this morning he passed a biker on a racing bike and when he looked behind his back after a while the racer couldn't keep up. My colleague told me that that man must felt frustrated being passed by someone on a bike which is not a racing bike at all.
Well that's almost the same frustration I felt after being passed for the second time. The question is how to use this frustration positively.

No comments: